I know a lot of you out there think a new year doesn't mean jack shit, BUT! I love them. I always have. I love setting goals, making lists, and that fresh start feeling. Before we get on to my hopes for 2018 and my resolutions though, lets recap a little on 2017.
Highlights and Hardships of 2017:
- We moved back to the Grand Rapids area from Lansing, MI with Wild Thing, a giant dog, and two cats.
- In April, we decided to open Avenue Barber Shop, found a space, and filled it out and opened September 2017.
- I left a job I really, really, really loved and began a new one in GR.
- Ana started a new school that is infinitely better than her last and rebuilt her trust in teachers and schools.
- We battled another bout of drug addiction in our extended family that hit my anxiety button all over again.
- The barber shop took off faster than anyone expected it to!
- I finally made the decision to start saying "No" and left my job in GR to work on marketing and Mrs. Motley's Crew full time.
- Chris and I put another notch in our "built together" belt. Literally, the barber shop was pieced together by the two of us alone. It doesn't get much more grassroots than that.
- We all continued to be blessed with health, amazing friends and family, and so, so much love.
2017 was a huge year for us. I remember making an Instagram post on my personal account when we first moved back saying something like "Big things are coming," and big things have indeed come. We've made a lot of new starts, the three of us, but this one has been one of the best, most exciting ones. I feel like we're FINALLY finding our stride, no matter how many jumps, bumps, and bruises are included. We're just happy we're still here to collect them.
Even though this year has been great, we can't wait to see what 2018 has in store. Buttttt, I'm kind of bossy so I have my own list of what 2018 is going to do for me. Are you ready?
What 2018 is going to do for Aslyn:
- It's going to be the year that I for real have no fear of saying NO. I hate, no, loathe, letting people down or disappointing them, so this is actually kind of rough for me. I'm going to own that word by the end of 2018 though.
- Eat more cake. Seriously. I love cake and I haven't eaten enough of it in 2017. So watch out for my reviews on cake recipes and my steady weight gain. #dontcare
- Work on patience. I have a short fuse. Chris will attest to that. Wild Thing would too, but I hate being the crazy lady. I want to be that calm, collected, icy queen when I need to be. Not the "she hasn't showered and she's giving me crazy eyes" lady. SO. If you have ways that have helped you grow your short, short fuse, I NEED HELP! SHARE!
- I'm going to date my husband more. This guy works 6 days a week. Dating is hard when you work that much. But I'm going to figure out ways to do it. Maybe it's breakfast dates, maybe it's home dates. We'll see.
So that's what I've got. I know it's not a lengthy list, but it's mine and it's a truckload for me. What about you guys? What are your corny resolutions? Please tell me yours in the comments!
To go out with a bang, we went to the Grand Rapids Public Museum. NERD ALERT. But seriously guys, it's pretty freaking cool. Their new exhibit, Dragons, Unicorns, & Mermaids is here until May, but we couldn't wait any longer. We were being curious (a corny way to tie in their Be Curious slogan)