Meet the Crew
Well, this isn't the first post I've made, but every class I've ever taken has made me tell everyone about myself, and it was always my favorite part to hear about everyone else. So, here's our little intro for you. I'm Aslyn (see red hair, and yes like the lion in those books) and the babe I married in Chris. Through birds and bees we created Wild Thing ( who shall remained Wild Thing for the sake of the internet.). We own a barber shop, Avenue Barber Shop, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We're basically the adult fiction book that comes after the Young Adult fiction work of when the crust punk meets the rebel cheerleader and they fall in love. Life has thrown us so many curveballs, but together we fought to get to where we are and we picked up some hilarious stories to share along the way. Chris probably won't be posting here often, so I'm just going to give you my top ten life things, and then when you're done reading about me you have to tell me about you. Okay, here we go.
Aslyn's Ten Life Things
- I'm a very driven person. I (almost) always know what I want.
- Spicy food is everything. Thai, Mexican, Indian, anything with hot peppers.
- Wild thing is super head strong and we have a battle of the wills all day, every day. It's my own personal battle to be patient with her and guide her the best I can.
- Tattoo's, piercings, punk/hardcore music, motorcycles. I've grown with and love what people refer to as the "alternative lifestyle." As a Lansing hardcore scene native, its where I learned friends are family and creativity goes beyond paper and paintbrush. (Fun fact: I started my photo career taking "show photos" for friends.)
- I'm always down for an adventure and we sure have a lot of them. From hiking, to diners, to museums and beyond.
- I'm a huuge booknerd. I have worked at libraries in the past (thumbs way up to PBTDL! The other one we'll just call The Library Who Must Not Be Named) so I'll be sharing my current reads no matter how far and in between they are.
- Sewing is my therapy. Most of the time. Chris is tall and skinny so I end up taking shirts in that he orders too big or custom making them a lot. Just don't ask me about how much I hate putting pearl snaps on things.
- Nothing's perfect. A huge goal I have is to impress upon you that pretty pictures aren't everything. We've faced battles we didn't know how we would ever overcome and I never candy-coat those struggles for anyone. They're vital to us and our lives and so are yours.
- I don't do the Facebook. I started seeing that the platform was being used as a way to tear others down and I don't need negative shit in my life. I'm part of IG which I've loved since day one for being overwhelmingly supportive and positive and a great place for mom's to connect.
- Winter is my jam. Living in Michigan, you have to either embrace the winter or always be pissed off and wish you lived somewhere else. I've embraced it. Being paler than Casper, I also don't stand as great of a chance of getting burned. So it's when we do a huge chunk of our outdoor activities.
That's more than enough about me. Check out these beautiful photos by Alycia, and tell me about you.
Yes, Wild Thing has fading blue hair. We'll talk about that later though.